Annual Luncheon Brings Donors and Scholars Together
More than 130 people came out for this year’s Medical Education Donors and Scholars Luncheon, which brings together grateful students with alumni and major donors of endowed Miller School scholarships.
The annual luncheon was held March 4 at the Coral Gables Country Club.
Interim Dean Laurence B. Gardner, M.D., MACP, thanked the donors for their continuing support.
“I cannot tell you how important the support of scholarships is,” Gardner said. “It doesn’t just allow us to attract the kind of students, and future physicians, that we want at the Miller School. It allows the students progressively more freedom of career choice.”
Some of the donors who were in attendance at the luncheon:
• The Rotary Club of Miami: President Oliver Alan Ruiz, and members Jay Almeida, Marcia Brod, Ted Eldredge, Tina Moore, and Shirley Pardon.
• Ronald Trapana, M.D. ’77, and his wife, Maryrose, who have made a generous gift toward increasing the pool of scholarship funds.
• Jerome Sheldon and Gerald Pinnas, both M.D. ’64, and representatives of The Medical Class of 1964 Peter Lake Memorial Endowed Scholarship.
• Ruth Schobel and Steven Chavoustie, both M.D. ’81, and representatives of the Class of 1981 Endowed Scholarship Fund.
• Kristin Podack, a representative of the Medical Faculty Association.
• Bob and Laura Nichols, who have generously contributed to the Miller School of Medicine General Scholarship Fund.
• Bernie Stein and his wife, Lyn Pont, Ph.D., as the attorney representing the estate of Jeannette Newton. Stein was able to secure a gift of more than $1 million to support medical scholarships.
• The contributors to the John K. Robinson Fund.
To learn more about the Miller School of Medicine Medical Alumni Association, visit http://alumni.med.miami.edu/